pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends

Permanent resident


Proof of permanent residence 

To prove permanent resident status you can use VEVO to:

  • email or print out your status or
  • give permission for an organisation or a government agency to perform a VEVO check.

You can do this, as long as your visa is linked with your:

  • passport or
  • ImmiCard. 

Common examples of when you may need to prove your permanent resident status include:

  • interacting with other Australian government agencies regarding entitlements and benefits such as Centrelink and Medicare or 
  • obtaining certain documentation from other Australian agencies or authorities such as:
    • Driver’s licence
    • Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC) 
    • interacting with foreign embassies, consulates and high commissions in Australia or for the purposes of obtaining a foreign travel document

We no longer issue:

  • Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status (CERS)
  • Certificate of Status for New Zealand Citizens in Australia (CSNZCA)
  • Document for Travel to Australia
  • Visa Evidence Card
  • Visa labels or stickers

When you do not have a VEVO record

Your access to a VEVO record may depend on whether your most recent entry to Australia was:

  • before 1990 or
  • after 1990

Before 1990

You may not have a VEVO record if:

  • you arrived in Australia before 1990 and
  • have not travelled overseas since.

To request an electronic visa record you must provide:

  • identity documents including evidence of your arrival in Australia and 
  • details of your valid passport.

If you do not have and can't obtain a passport, you may be eligible for an ImmiCard.

You will be able to access VEVO once your visa has been recorded in our systems and your passport or ImmiCard is linked to the visa. This will be required to access VEVO.

After 1990

Your VEVO visa record is linked to your passport. If you have renewed your passport since arriving in Australia, you will need to tell us of the new details to link your visa details to the new passport. This will be required to access VEVO.

Permanent resident travelling overseas

If you are a long term resident who arrived in Australia before 1990 and have not left Australia since, you are unlikely to have an electronic visa record. In order to be able to use VEVO you will have to apply for an electronic visa record.

Evidence of your arrival in Australia

If you need information about your arrival date in Australia, you can apply for access to the travel information in your movement records.