pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends

When to have health examinations

​​​Before you apply for a visa (My Health Declarations)

The My Health Declarations (MHD) service enables you to complete your health examinations prior to submitting your visa application.

Do not use MHD if:

  • the visa you intend to apply for is not listed in the MHD service, or
  • you have already lodged a visa application.

Health examination results are generally valid for 12 months. If you have your health examinations before you apply for a visa and there is a delay in processing your application, you may need to complete your health examinations again. For this reason we recommend that you refer to the Visa processing times page before deciding whether to use MHD. You must pay for any health examinations you have.

To use the MHD service, refer to the Completing the My Health Declarations form​. If you have technical difficulties after following the guidelines in the form, use our ImmiAccount Technical Support Form to contact us.

If your circumstances change after you submit your MHD form and before you have completed your health examinations, let the panel clinic know when you attend your appointment.

See more about arranging your health exams.

Including your family members when you use My Health Declarations

You can include family members on your My Health Declarations form. Do not include any family members who are not migrating with you. Your visa processing officer will let you know if any non-migrating family members need to have health examinations after you apply for the visa.

​After you apply for a visa

If the visa subclass you intend to apply for does not appear as an option in the ‘My Health Declarations’ form, you will need to wait until after you have applied for the visa before you have your health examinations. You will be advised if health examinations are required.

If you hold or held one of the provisional visas listed in the left-hand column of this table and apply for the permanent visa on the right,  there may still be occasions where further health examinations are required. Your visa processing officer will let you know if you need to complete further health examinations at the second stage of your application.​

You had permanent health examinations for one of these visasAnd you are now applying for this visa
Contributory Parent (Subclass 173 or 884)
Contributory Parent (Subclass 143 or 864)
Skilled – Regional (Subclass 475, 487 or 489)Skilled ​​ Regional (Subclass 887)
Skilled Work Regional (Subclass 491) or Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Subclass 494)Skilled Regional (Subclass 191) (Regional Provisional stream)
​Business Innovation and Investment (Subclass 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 or 188)Business Innovation and Investment (Subclass 888)