English language requirements generally apply to applicants wanting to study or work in Australia.
You will need to check the eligibility page for the visa subclass you wish to apply for, to see what level of English you need and what evidence you must provide.
The Department accepts scores from the following tests undertaken at a secure test centre for English language visa requirements:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS), including One Skill Retake (OSR)*
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Cambridge English (CAE) (also known as C1 Advanced)
- Occupational English Test (OET), noting this is a test developed for health professionals
From 14 December 2022, IELTS One Skill Retake (OSR) will be available for certain test takers. OSR allows test takers to retake one of the four test components in either reading, writing, speaking or listening (once only).
For Australian visa purposes, the Department will accept IELTS test results that include OSR, with the exception of applications for subclasses 476, 482, and 485, which need scores from a single sitting/attempt.
See what evidence you need to provide for:
Online (‘at-home’) English language tests
Some test providers offer alternative versions of their tests that you can take at home or online, such as TOEFL iBT – Special Home Edition, OET@Home, IELTS Indicator, and IELTS Online. Home Affairs does not accept scores from these tests, or any other 'at-home' or 'online' tests for Australian migration purposes.