pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends
Meeting our requirements

English language visa requirements

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​English language requirements generally apply to applicants wanting to study or work in Australia.

You will need to check the eligibility page for the visa subclass you wish to apply for, to see what level of English you need and what evidence you must provide.

The Department accepts scores from the following tests undertaken at a secure test centre for English language visa requirements: ​

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS), including One Skill Retake (OSR)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)
  • Cambridge English (CAE) (also known as C1 Advanced)
  • Occupational English Test (OET), noting this is a test developed for health professionals
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT).​

From 14 December 2022, IELTS One Skill Retake (OSR) will be available for certain test takers. OSR allows test takers to retake one of the four test components in either reading, writing, speaking or listening (once only).

For Australian visa purposes, the Department will accept IELTS test results that include OSR, with the exception of applications for subclasses 476, 482, and 485, which need scores from a single sitting/attempt.

From 12 February 2024, only results from the paper-based Cambridge C1 Advanced test (previously known as Cambridge English: Advanced CAE) will be accepted for Australian visa and migration purposes.

Test scores for both C1 Advanced paper-based and computer-based tests, taken before 12 February 2024, within the specified validity period (see relevant eligibility pages linked below), are still accepted.

TOEFL iBT tests that were completed between 26 July 2023 and 4 May 2024 will not be accepted for Australian visa and migration purposes. During this period, the TOEFL iBT test ​being offered was not an approved test.

See what evidence you need to provide for:

At-home or online English language tests​

Some test provide​rs offer alternative versions of their tests that you can take at home or online, such as TOEFL iBT – Home Edition, OET@Home, PTE Academic Online, IELTS Online (General and Academic) and IELTS Indicator.​

Home Affairs does not accept scores from these tests, or any other 'at-home' or '​online' tests for Australian migration purposes.​