pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends
English language

Vocational English

​​​​​​At-home or online tests

Some test providers offer alternative versions of their tests that you can take at home or online, such as TOEFL iBT – Home Edition, OET@Home, PTE Academic Online, IELTS Online (General and Academic) and IELTS Indicator. Home Affairs does not accept any ’at-home’ or ‘online’ test for Australian migration purposes.

The Department accepts scores from approved tests undertaken at secure test centres. The tests accepted by the Department are listed in the table below. If you have questions about a particular test, you can contact the test provider.

To prove you have vocational English, show us evidence of one of the following:

  • You are a citizen of and hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland. British National (Overseas) passports are not acceptable as evidence of vocational English.
  • ​​In the 3 years before you applied for the visa, you scored one of the following:
  • Specified test results
    International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic or General Training)
    At least 5 for each of the 4 test components
    Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT)
    TOEFL iBT tests that were completed between 26 July 2023 and 4 May 2024 will not be accepted for Australian visa and migration purposes. During this period, the TOEFL iBT test being offered was not an approved test.​
    At least 4 for listening, 4 for reading, 14 for writing and 14 for speaking
    Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)
    At least 36 for each of the 4 test components
    Occupational English Test (OET)At least B for each of the 4 test components

    Cambridge C1 Advanced test

    From 12 February 2024, only results from the paper-based Cambridge C1 Advanced test (previously known as Cambridge English: Advanced CAE) will be accepted for Australian visa and migration purposes.

    Test scores for both C1 Advanced paper-based and computer-based tests, taken before 12 February 2024, are still accepted.​

    ​At least 154 in each of the 4 test components

Some visas will allow you to submit other forms of evidence. Check the relevant visa pages to find out.