Covid-19 and at home language tests
Some testing centres are providing versions of their tests that you can take at home, such as TOEFL iBT – Special Home Edition, OET@Home and IELTS Indicator. We do not currently accept these tests.
See the tests we do accept in the tables below.
To prove you have functional English, show us evidence that:
- you are a citizen of and hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland
- your English has been assessed as functional by an
Australian Adult Migrant English Program service provider
- you completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate in an institution in or outside Australia that required at least two years of full-time study and all instructions were in English
- you undertook your education at:
|a primary school and secondary school where all instruction was in English in or outside Australia||All years of primary and at least 3 years of secondary study|
|a secondary school in or outside Australia where all instruction was in English||At least 5 years of study|
|an institution in Australia where all instruction was in English||At least 1 year of full-time study towards an award|
|an institution in Australia where all instruction was in English||The part-time equivalent of 1 year of full-time study towards an award|
- in the 12 months before you applied for the visa, you scored one of the following:
Some visas will allow you to submit other forms of evidence. Check the relevant visa pages to find out.
* Any changes to the scores will only be made after careful consideration. Where scores change, a warning notice will be put on this website with information on how it may impact you.