pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends



When you have your ImmiCard

Replace a lost, stolen, damaged or expired ImmiCard

​ImmiCards are issued with a 5 year expiry date. They are not automatically renewed on expiry because the expiry date is not linked to the card holder's visa.

Expired ImmiCards can still be used to verify visa status through VEVO , however,  some organisations may not accept expired ImmiCards as evidence of commencement of identity. If your ImmiCard has expired and you would prefer to have a new one, or if your current ImmiCard has been lost, stolen or damaged , you can apply for a replacement. There will be a fee for this ImmiCard.

Note: if you have an ImmiCard and are granted a new visa, you do not need to apply for a new card unless your current card has expired or your current card has been lost, stolen or damaged.  

Check visa status

As a visa holder you can use your ImmiCard to check your visa status and conditions on VEVO.

Registered Australian organisations can check the visa status and conditions of individuals on VEVO.

Immigration detainees living in the community do not hold a visa so they do not have a VEVO record.

Update details on your ImmiCard, DFTTA or PL056

If your personal details are not correct on your ImmiCard, you can ask us to change your details.

If you get married or choose to legally change your name through a Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, you can also ask us to update the details on your ImmiCard.

If you have a Document for Travel to Australia  (DFTTA) or Visa Evidence Card (PLO56) but not an ImmiCard and we agree to change your personal details, we will issue you with an ImmiCard with your new details on it. We no longer issue DFTTAs or Visa Evidence Cards (PL056).