pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends

Working in agriculture

Support farmers, support Australia

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Visa options for workers in agriculture

​Working Holiday Makers​ (WHMs)

All Working Holiday (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa holders (WHMs) can work in the agriculture sector.

Second or third WHM visa​

If you have completed three or six months of specified work​ in agriculture, you may be able to apply for a second or third WHM visa.​


International students are allowed to work for more than 40 hours per fortnight during their study period if working in agriculture until 1 July 2023. From 1 July 2023, work restrictions for international students will be re-introduced and capped at the increased rate of 48 hours per fortnight.​

Temporary Graduates

All Temporary Graduates​ can work in the agriculture sector.  

Find out how to apply.​

Safe Haven Enterprise visa/Temporary Protection visa holders​

Safe Haven Enterprise visa (SHEV) and Temporary Protection visa (TPV) holders have work rights and can work in the agriculture sector.

Pacific Australia Labour Mobility (PALM) scheme

​​Pacific Australia Labour Mobility (PALM​) visa holders can work in Australia under the PALM scheme in the agriculture sector, and other sectors.

Assistance to workers

The Government connects workers with employers in harvest areas across Australia through Harvest Trail Services. 

More information is available on the Harvest Trail​ website.

Workers can also connect with a wide range of employment opportunities and find out about businesses and organisations that are currently hiring and their location through Workforce Australia.

More information is available on the Workforce Australia for individuals website.

Workers who are interested in working in industries they don’t have much experience in can get information about entry-level jobs through the Jobs Hub.

More information is available on the Jobs Hub​ website.