pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends

Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)

Be taught English for free.

​​​​​​​About the program

The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is a free service to help eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants with low English levels to improve their English language skills and settle into Australia.

Learning English will help you to participate more fully in Australian life. You will learn new skills to help you work and make friends in Australia.

When you are in an AMEP class, free childcare is available for children under school age.

Your service provider will assist you to find out about free childcare.

For migrants receiving Centrelink payments, learning English in the AMEP may meet some or all of your mutual obligation requirements.

three beautiful women poses for photo
See how the AMEP helped Roya and Totoya change their lives.

Am I eligible?

The AMEP has been improved to increase access for eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants in Australia with no or low levels of English. If that sounds like you, the changes mean:

  • you can now access unlimited hours of English classes until you reach vocational English
  • you can apply to enrol, even if you’ve enrolled in AMEP before and have been living in Australia for many years
  • you can keep studying, even if you’ve completed 510 hours (the previous limit), until you reach vocational English.

The AMEP is available to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants who hold a permanent visa or an eligible temporary visa and to Australian citizens who previously held a permanent visa. The principal visa holder and their dependants may be eligible for AMEP.

To find out if you are eligible or to find your nearest class, contact your nearest AMEP service.

Where can I learn English for free?

The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is delivered at around 300 locations across Australia in major cities as well as regional and remote areas.

You can join your class online, go to COVID-safe face to face classes, or learn remotely by distance learning.

To find details of your nearest class, see the Find an English class page.

Help in other Languages

Information about the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is translated into many languages to help you understand the program better.

Check Information in languages to see if AMEP information is available in your preferred language.

Can I undertake AMEP if I am a job seeker?

Eligible participants in Workforce Australia services may be referred to the AMEP by their provider. Talk to your provider for more information. If you are in Workforce Australia Online for individuals, visit the Workforce Australia AMEP page or talk to the Digital Services Contact Centre for information on how to participate. For all participants, learning with the AMEP will count towards your mutual obligation requirements and earn points towards your monthly points target.

Learning options

The AMEP provides a range of flexible learning options to help you study, including full time, part-time, evening and weekend classes.

It offers face-to-face and online classes, a volunteer tutor scheme and distance learning. If you have under school-aged children, the AMEP also provides free childcare services, while you are participating in face-to-face classes.

Where can I find out more about the AMEP?

Find out more about the AMEP by reading the AMEP Fact sheet and eligibility for learning English for free. 

You can also:

Help promote the AMEP

Have a look at the AMEP Promotional Flyer (2MB PDF) and share it with family and friends who may also be eligible. The Flyer is available to share in many languages.

Volunteering with the AMEP – Volunteer Tutor Scheme

The AMEP wants volunteers who can speak and read English well. If you are interested in supporting refugees and migrants for 1 – 2 hours per week, contact your nearest AMEP provider for more information. Training is provided free of charge. You will be matched with a student who you can meet with at a location you choose together. 

Your privacy and personal information

The Department of Home Affairs takes your privacy seriously and your personal information is protected by law. To join the AMEP, the Department and your AMEP provider will collect, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Immigration (Education) Act 1971 and the Privacy Act 1988 (the Privacy Act).

Further information about how your personal information will be used is in the AMEP Privacy Notice (681KB PDF).

If you need help understanding this information, or require an interpreter, please talk to your AMEP provider who can help you.

Other government services

If you are settling permanently in Australia, free document translation is provided by the Australian Government to support participation in employment, education and community engagement. More information is available on the Free Translating Service website.

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Home Affairs for people who do not speak English.