Be an active citizen—whether you were born in Australia or choose to become an Australian citizen. Active citizenship is about getting involved in your local community and displaying values such as respect, inclusion and helping others.
Local Hero Award
The Department of Home Affairs partners with the National Australia Day Council and supports active citizenship by sponsoring the Local Hero category in the
Australian of the Year Awards. The Local Hero Award acknowledges extraordinary contributions made by Australians in their local community.
20th Anniversary of the Local Hero Award
2023 marks the
20th anniversary of the Local Hero Award. The Department has proudly sponsored this award since its introduction as a category of the
Australian of the Year Awards in 2003.
Australia’s Local Heroes
On 25 January 2023, Amar Singh from Sydney, New South Wales, was announced as Australia’s Local Hero 2023 for his work founding Turbans 4 Australia, a charity that distributes food and groceries to those in need, including people affected by natural disasters. Amar’s tireless efforts have helped thousands of people in need, while also promoting multiculturalism in our diverse society.
Aussie of the Month
The Department of Home Affairs also sponsors the Aussie of the Month primary school recognition program. The program encourages students to contribute to their communities and think of others.
Ways you can be an active citizen
There are many ways you can contribute to and participate in your community as an active citizen. Here are a few suggestions:
- Attend a citizenship ceremony in your area to welcome and support new Australian citizens.
- Lead by example and be a role model by being respectful and inclusive of others and ensuring a fair go for all.
- Raise awareness and encourage discussion of the Australian values that unite us and the significance of Australian citizenship on
Citizenship Day (17 September).
refugees and help them to settle into Australia.
- Celebrate the strength in our multicultural community by participating in
Harmony Week and Refugee Week in your local community.
- Share your citizenship story and what Australian citizenship means to you on social media using #AustralianCitizenship, #AustralianCitizen and @AusHomeAffairs.