Variations in processing times
We assess applications on a case-by-case basis. Processing times can vary for a range of reasons, including:
- whether you have submitted an application with all necessary supporting documents. Use the checklists available at ImmiAccount to make sure you attach all required documents
- whether you have lodged an online or paper application. Applying online helps streamline processing
- how quickly you respond to requests for more information
- how long it takes us to perform the required checks
- how long it takes to receive information from external agencies, particularly relating to health, character and national security requirements
- how many places are available in the migration program for permanent visa applications.
Processing times are impacted by cases that are complex, changes to the volume of applications and changes to Ministerial Directions.
Visa processing times guide
Our new visa processing time guide gives you an indication of how long your visa application may take to process. This estimated timeframe is based on how long it has taken to process recently finalised applications. It does not guarantee your application will be finalised within this timeframe.
- the tool does not check specific information relating to your application
- only visas for which there are processing times appear in the dropdown list.