Offshore nil VAC WHM applications
Who can apply
You must be outside Australia to apply for an offshore nil VAC WHM visa.
You may apply if you held a ‘COVID-19 affected WHM visa’. For the purposes of the offshore nil VAC WHM application, you held a ‘COVID-19 affected WHM visa’, if you meet all of these requirements:
- you were granted a WHM (subclass 417 or 462) visa before 20 March 2020
- your WHM visa expired between 20 March 2020 and 31 December 2021 while you were outside Australia
- you did not travel to Australia on your WHM visa or departed Australia before your visa expired.
You must apply for your nil VAC WHM visa before 31 December 2022.
To be eligible for an offshore nil VAC WHM visa grant, you must:
- be outside Australia and apply by 31 December 2022
- hold a valid WHM eligible passport (subclass 417 or
- meet the age requirement at time of application for your country of passport (subclass 417 or
- meet health and character requirements
- not be accompanied by dependent children.
An offshore nil VAC WHM visa is in effect for 12 months from the date you enter Australia.
You will have 12 months to enter Australia from the date your visa is granted.
What you can do when you have this visa
With this visa you can:
- have a holiday
- work in any occupation or industry, generally for up to
6 months with one employer
- study for up to 4 months
- travel to and from Australia as many times as you like while the visa is in effect
- undertake 3 or 6 months of
Specified Work to become eligible to apply for a second or third WHM visa.
How to apply
You must apply for this visa
online.You must be outside Australia at time of application.
You must include details of your ‘COVID-19 affected WHM visa’ in your application.
Visa applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis, and processing times can vary due to individual circumstances.
For more information, see
Visa processing times.
Applying for subsequent WHM visas
If you hold or have held a COVID-19 affected WHM visa, that visa will not count towards the total number of three WHM visas you may hold.
If you are not eligible to apply for an offshore nil VAC WHM visa
If you no longer meet the age requirement to apply for an offshore nil VAC WHM visa, you can request a VAC refund. To do this, use the COVID-19 travel restrictions VAC refund request form. There is no review available if we refuse your request for a refund.
Offshore nil VAC WHM visa applications and VAC refund requests must be lodged by 31 December 2022.
For further information, see
Refunds and waivers of Visa Application Charges.