pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends
Refugee and humanitarian program

The Special Humanitarian Program (SHP)

​To be eligible to apply for a Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202) through the Special Humanitarian Program you must be:

  • outside Australia (offshore)
  • living outside your home country
  • subject to substantial discrimination in your home country amounting to a gross violation of your human rights
  • proposed by an Australian citizen or Permanent resident, an Eligible New Zealand citizen, or an organisation based in Australia.


Apply for the Global Special Humanitarian (subclass 202) visa.

Proposer obligations

Before you arrive

If the application is approved, you and your proposer are responsible for arranging and paying for your travel to Australia.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) may be able to assist you under their prepaid migration travel program. For more information see Travel Assistance for Migration to Australia

The Australian Government will pay for the medical and x-ray examinations needed for your visa.

​When you arrive

Your proposer is expected to help you settle in Australia. Your proposer should:

  • meet you at the airport
  • provide your immediate accommodation needs
  • help you find permanent accommodation
  • help you with services and service providers such as:
  • Australia's social security agency, Centrelink
  • banks
  • public transport
  • translating and interpreting services
  • health care
  • education
  • employment
  • childcare