Parent visas - queue release dates and processing times
The Department continues to process Parent visa applications and is taking disruptions arising from the COVID-19 pandemic into account when considering visa applications.
Further information on Australian Government COVID-19 travel restrictions and information for visa holders is available on the Department’s website at
COVID-19 and the border
Queue release dates
As at 30 April 2022, we have released for final processing:
- Contributory Parent visa applications with a queue date up to July 2016
- Parent visa applications with a queue date up to October 2010
- Aged Parent visa applications with a queue date up to December 2012
Queue release dates
*as at 30 Apr 2022
|Temporary to Permanent||Contributory Parent (143)|
Contributory Parent (Temp) (173) Contributory Aged Parent (864)*
Contributory Aged Parent (Temp) (884)*
|Parent (103) + Aged Parent (804)**|
|Acknowledge New Application||Approx 4 weeks||Approx 4 weeks||Approx 4 weeks|
|Queue Assessment||N/A||Lodged September 2018||Lodged May 2019|
|Visa Assessment (Queue release date)||January 2022||Lodged/Queued up to July 2016||Date Queued up to October 2010|
Please note that the Department is required to process Parent and Contributory Parent applications in date order and within annual limits. We have identified some discrepancies in processing times between offshore and onshore visas in both Parent and Contributory Parent categories and are taking action to correct them.
* Onshore Contributory Parent (UU884 and DG864) visa subclasses have been assessed up to February 2017. Onshore Contributory Parent visas lodged from February 2017 onwards are likely to take longer to process while we action offshore Contributory Parent (CA143 and TU173) applications to bring the dates back to parity.
** Onshore Aged Parent (BP804) visas have been assessed up to Queued Date of December 2012. Onshore Aged Parent applications with a Queued Date of December 2012 onwards are likely to take longer to process while we action offshore Parent (AX103) applications to bring the dates back to parity.
All Contributory Parent visa applications lodged before 1 June 2018 have been given a queue date of the application lodgement date and applications lodged on or after 1 June 2018 are assessed and given a queue date when it meets the initial visa criteria.
We update this information only when the latest final processing dates are available.
Once we reach the number of visa places available in the current Migration Program year we will consider any applications that have been queued and released for final processing, but not yet finalised, for a place in a subsequent year.
Contributory Parent, Parent and Aged Parent visa processing times change for a number of reasons, including:
- changes in planning levels
- how many visa applications are submitted
- how many applications are withdrawn or refused
- Administrative Appeals Tribunal remits
- Ministerial Intervention cases
- changes to processing directions
We don't provide processing times for Contributory Parent, Parent, Contributory Aged Parent and Aged Parent visa applications. Applications for these visas are subject to capping and queueing.
We estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take at least 67 months to be released for final processing.
New Parent and Aged Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take at least 30 years for final processing.
Find answers to commonly asked questions, make an enquiry or submit documents to the
Parent Visa Centre.