Parent visas - queue release dates and processing times
The Department continues to process Parent visa applications and is taking disruptions arising from the pandemic into account when considering visa applications.
Further information on Australian Government COVID-19 travel restrictions and information for visa holders is available on the Department’s website at
COVID-19 and the border
Queue release dates
As at May 2021, we have released for final processing:
- Contributory Parent visa applications with a queue date up to May 2016
- Parent visa applications with a queue date up to October 2010
- Aged Parent visa applications with a queue date up to December 2012
We update this information only when the latest final processing dates are available.
Once we reach the number of visa places available in the current Migration Program year we will consider any applications that have been queued and released for final processing, but not yet finalised, for a place in a subsequent year.
Contributory Parent, Parent and Aged Parent visa processing times change for a number of reasons, including:
- changes in planning levels
- how many visa applications are submitted
- how many applications are withdrawn or refused
- Administrative Appeals Tribunal remits
- Ministerial Intervention cases
- changes to processing directions
We don't provide processing times for Contributory Parent, Parent, Contributory Aged Parent and Aged Parent visa applications. Applications for these visas are subject to capping and queueing.
However, based on current planning levels, we estimate new Contributory Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately at least 64 months to be released for final processing.
New Parent and Aged Parent visa applications lodged that meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately 30 years for final processing.