Assurance of support
Services Australia are responsible for the assessment of Assurance of Support (AoS) applications, including bond lodgement via Centrelink offices.
An AoS covers the primary visa applicant and other family members included in the visa application.
For some migrant visa subclasses, an AoS is a mandatory requirement which must be met prior to visa grant. If you applied for one of these visas, your assurer must also lodge a refundable bond with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia.
Other visa subclasses might have an AoS as a discretionary requirement only. For these visa subclasses, a bond will not be required. More information is available on the
Services Australia Assurance of Support Website.
Lodging an AoS application
The easiest way to apply is online as it helps Services Australia to process your potential assurer(s) application. Instructions are available on the
Services Australia Assurance of Support website.
What you need to tell us
After your potential assurer has lodged the AoS, provide the following details to us within 28 days using the enquiry/submit documents function in the online Parent visa processing centre form.
- The full name, date of birth and the Services Australia Customer Reference Number (CRN) for all assurers.
- The place and date of lodgement of the AoS and whether this was done electronically or by paper.
Please note that failure to provide this information may delay your visa application.
AoS Assessments and AoS Period
An AoS bond is held for the duration of the AoS period. If you are applying for a permanent Contributory Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visa, the AoS period runs for 10 years from:
- the date you arrived in Australia (if you applied from outside Australia)
- the date you were granted a permanent visa (if you applied from within Australia).
If you applied for any other visas, the AoS period is up to four years from:
- the date you arrived in Australia (if you applied from outside of Australia)
- the date you were granted a visa (if you applied from within Australia).
Release of bond
Centrelink authorises release of the bond. Release of the bond will depend upon whether the visa holder (the assuree) has claimed any recoverable Centrelink payments during the life of the AoS.
After the AoS period has expired, the assurer should ask the nearest Centrelink office to release the bond money (less any claims by Centrelink).
More information about Assurance of Support is available:
Services Australia Assurance of Support
Telephone: 132 850