pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends

Settlement Services for Humanitarian Entrants


As a member of the international community, Australia shares responsibility for protecting refugees worldwide.

Australia's Refugee and Humanitarian Program, administered by the Department, is designed to ensure that Australia can respond effectively to global humanitarian situations and that support services are available to meet the specific needs of these entrants.

The offshore component of the Refugee and Humanitarian Program ('Humanitarian Program') helps people who are subject to persecution or substantial discrimination amounting to gross violation of their human rights in their home countries and have fled their home country.

People who are resettled in Australia under the Humanitarian Program are referred to as 'humanitarian entrants'.

What checks do humanitarian entrants undergo before arriving in Australia?

All humanitarian entrants resettled in Australia undertake strict health, character and national security checks before being granted a visa. This is consistent with the requirements to be met by all applicants for an Australian permanent visa.

What support do humanitarian entrants receive when they arrive in Australia?

The Australian Government provides a range of settlement services aimed at assisting humanitarian entrants and eligible migrants within their initial period of settlement. These services assist clients to become self-reliant and participate equally in Australian society and minimise longer-term reliance on support services.

Service providers deliver the initial settlement support for humanitarian entrants on behalf of the Australian Government. Support is provided on a needs basis, which means that not all clients will require all available services.

The Australian Cultural Orientation Program

Humanitarian entrants over the age of five are eligible to attend an Australian Cultural Orientation (AUSCO) course before their departure for Australia. AUSCO gives practical advice about the journey to Australia, including quarantine laws and information about what to expect on arrival.

Humanitarian Settlement Program

Humanitarian Settlement Program (HSP) provides early practical support to humanitarian entrants on their arrival in Australia and assists them to build the skills and knowledge they need to become self-reliant and active members of the Australian community.

Settlement Grants

Humanitarian entrants may also be referred to community organisations funded under Settlement grants. Settlement grants provide support for humanitarian entrants and other eligible migrants in their first five years of life in Australia, with a focus on fostering social and economic participation, personal well-being, independence and community connectedness.

Activities funded under Settlement grants aim to help people become self-reliant and participate to their full capacity in the Australian community. The services funded under Settlement grants include: casework/coordination; youth settlement services; community coordination and development; and support for ethno-specific communities.

Do humanitarian entrants receive help with English?

We live in a multicultural society. The Australian Government and agencies have an obligation to provide equitabl​e access to services regardless of the cultural and linguistic background of clients.

The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is designed to help eligible visa holders, including humanitarian entrants, learn foundation English language skills to assist with their successful settlement in Australia.

English language skills are essential for newly-arrived migrants to secure employment, access further education and training and better connect with the Australian community.

All AMEP clients have access to up to 510 hours of English language courses in their first five years of settlement in Australia. Participation in the program is voluntary.

Eligible humanitarian entrants may also access the AMEP sub-program called the Special Preparatory Program (SPP). The SPP provides up to 400 additional hours of tailored English classes to eligible humanitarian entrants in recognition of their greater learning and support needs arising from difficult pre-migration experiences, such as torture or trauma, and/or limited prior schooling.

In addition, the Australian Government provides the Free Interpreting Service to eligible organisations when communicating with clients with no or low English language proficiency. Eligible organisations include private medical practitioners, pharmacists, non-government organisations, real estate agencies, local government authorities, trade unions and parliamentarians. The service aims to provide equitable access to key service that are not government funded.

The Australian Government also provides the Free Translating Service, to people settling permanently in Australia, for the translation of essential personal documents. Applications for the Free Translating Service can be lodged online at translating.homeaffairs.gov.au. The service aims to support participation in employment, education and community engagement.

Do humanitarian entrants receive help with finding a job?

Yes, humanitarian entrants are eligible for the full range of Australian Government employment services assistance, and also income support, from the date of their arrival in Australia. They have an initial 13 week exemption from activity test requirements. During this period they are not required to engage in employment services, but the opportunity is available for them to volunteer.

HSP and Settlement grants caseworkers can provide clients with information about Government employment services, including jobactive and Disability Employment Services; the job seeker assessment processes; and accompany clients to Centrelink, where job-ready clients may be referred to a Job Capacity Assessment. After this, the client may be referred to Australian Government employment service providers, who will assist them to find employment. HSP Case Managers may attend a client's first employment services appointment, contribute to employment services planning and support clients to implement employment strategies.

What income support are humanitarian entrants able to receive?

When humanitarian entrants arrive in Australia through the Humanitarian Program, they arrive as permanent residents and can immediately access income support payments under the same eligibility criteria as any other Australian permanent resident.

This is in recognition of the difficult circumstances they have faced, and the fact that they come to Australia with limited money, possessions and social networks to assist them to meet basic living expenses.

Do humanitarian entrants receive more than other Australians?

Humanitarian entrants do not receive higher benefits than other social security recipients. They have the same entitlements as all other Australian permanent residents.

Where do humanitarian entrants settle?

Humanitarian entrants are often located close to family members or their proposers ('links') living in Australia.

The Department is responsible for determining the settlement location of humanitarian entrants who arrive in Australia without a proposer or close family link. Where possible, the Department settles these humanitarian entrants in regional locations across Australia that provide the best access to reasonable housing, education and employment prospects.

When considering referrals of humanitarian entrants to urban and regional locations, the Department will consider the adequacy of local infrastructure, availability of settlement services, suitable accommodation, employment opportunities and a welcoming community.

Are humanitarian entrants accommodated in public housing?

Humanitarian entrants must meet the same requirements as other Australians to be eligible for public housing. They are not given preferential treatment and must remain on waiting lists, as do other Australians in need of public housing. Most find accommodation in the private rental market, where they apply for properties on the same basis as other Australians.

How do humanitarian entrants contribute to Australia?

Humanitarian entrants arriving in Australia naturally face challenges in adjusting to the Australian way of life. Despite these challenges, most humanitarian entrants settle successfully and make a positive contribution to the Australian community.

Research undertaken in 2011 by Professor Graeme Hugo from the University of Adelaide, (Economic, Civic and Social Contributions of First and Second Generation Humanitarian Entrants) shows that humanitarian entrants make an important contribution to Australia in many areas including social engagement, workforce participation, business ownership and volunteering within the community.

The research has also found that most humanitarian entrants' families, especially those in the second generation, are able to adjust effectively over time and eventually match, and in many cases exceed, Australian-born levels of economic and social contribution.

Is there support available for Temporary Protection visa holders?

The Australian Government also provides a number of services to Temporary Humanitarian Stay (449), Temporary Humanitarian Concern (786), Temporary Protection (785) (TPV) or Safe Haven Enterprise (790) (SHEV) visa holders. This includes:

  • some social security payments such as Special Benefit, Rent Assistance and family assistance payments (Services Australia)
  • employment — including help finding a job and Disability Employment Services
  • health services, including Medicare
  • mental health and emotional wellbeing services (including counselling for torture and trauma)
  • education for children of school age
  • Specialised and Intensive Services under the HSP; and
  • Free Translating and Interpreting Services (Department of Home Affairs).