You can’t come to Australia at this time unless you are exempt or have been granted a travel exemption. You should reconsider your need to apply for an Australian visa at this time. See updates on travel restrictions and visa processing at
COVID19 and the border. Certain passports may be able to apply for an ETA as part of the Australian ETA app pilot. See:
I want to apply for a visa.
What is an ETA?
An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) provides authorisation to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport.
It is for short term stays for tourism or business visitor activities such as attending a conference, making business enquiries, or for contractual negotiations.
An ETA is not a work visa. If you would like to work in Australia you can use our Visa finder to search for a visa that is suitable for you, visit
To apply for an ETA online through this website, you must hold a passport from one of the following countries or regions:
- Brunei - Darussalam
- Hong Kong (SAR PRC)
- Korea, Rep of (South)
- United States.
It is important that the details provided for your ETA application are exactly the same as they appear in your passport.
If you aren’t eligible to apply for an ETA online you might be able to apply through a travel agent, airline or at an
Australian visa office. Alternatively, if you would like to travel, work or study in Australia you can use our Visa finder to search for a Visa that is suitable for you, visit
How to apply
To apply for an ETA online you must be outside Australia.
An ETA is for short term stays for tourism or business visitor activities.
You must have your passport, email address and a valid credit card to complete the online application.
The details you provide in your online ETA application need to be exactly the same as they appear in your passport. You must use the same passport that is linked to your online ETA application when you travel.
Anyone who arrives in Australia without a valid travel document, visa or authority can be refused entry to or delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been confirmed.
Conditions of an ETA are:
- It is your responsibility to know what your visa allows you to do while in Australia.
- After your ETA is granted you are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you need to during a 12 month period, from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
- You can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit.
- You must not study for more than three months.
- You must be free from tuberculosis.
- You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not you served the sentence/s.
- It is illegal to work on an ETA. Whilst on an ETA you have no right to work in Australia. You can only undertake business visitor activities such as the undertaking of business enquiries and contractual negotiations or attending conferences.
If you would like more information on an ETA, you can view
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) or visit the
ETA Contact Information
For further information about how to apply for an ETA you can use our
general enquires form.
For a list of Australian visa offices and further ETA contact information, visit