COVID-19 instructions for attending a Departmental office in Australia
If you have an appointment at one of our offices, you must follow all precautionary measures listed below. This will help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect yourself and those who are most at risk.
Our offices in Australia provide services by appointment only.
If we need to see you, we will send you a letter or phone you, to ask you to attend an appointment.
Eligible individuals will be contacted and invited to attend a citizenship appointment or test. There is no need to contact the Department about your citizenship appointment or test. See also
If you are unwell or test positive to COVID-19
Stay at home and do not come to your appointment if you:
- have COVID-19
- have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19
- are unwell with cold or flu-like symptoms including:
- sore throat, or
- shortness of breath, even if you have returned a clear COVID-19 test result
Before you attend your appointment
Please check your state or territory COVID-19 websites for any local rules or restrictions that apply.
To check local guidelines, restrictions and COVID-19 case locations visit COVID-19 information and support services by state and territory.
Rescheduling your appointment
If you are unable to attend your appointment, refer to the information outlined in your appointment letter.
Changes to our offices
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, our offices have:
- been set out to meet physical distancing requirements
- hand sanitiser available
- surfaces cleaned frequently by professional commercial cleaners.
Arriving at an office
Please do not bring children or visitors with you to the office. In most cases, only the person with the appointment will be allowed into the office. There are no waiting area facilities outside of the office.
When you arrive at the office for your appointment, an officer will ask you questions about your health to determine if you will be allowed into the office.
While you are in the office
While you are in the office you need to:
- follow social distancing measures and stay 1.5 metres away from other people
- follow instructions about the number of people allowed into the office or the lifts at the same time
- adhere to any instructions from staff
- practice good hygiene, including:
- use the available hand sanitiser
- cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue if you cough or sneeze
- dispose of tissues immediately into a dedicated waste bin and use hand sanitiser
- avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
For more information about COVID-19 and how you can help protect yourself and others, see COVID-19 information and support services by state and territory.