pop-up content starts
pop-up content ends

Lodging an application – refugee and humanitarian visas

​​​​​​​Refugee visa

To make an application for a Refugee and Humanitarian visa, you must complete Form 842: Application for an Offshore Humanitarian visa.

You must submit your application online or lodge a paper application form by post. You cannot apply by sending an email.

If you are applying using a paper application, you must lodge your application form at an Australian overseas mission.

These are the Australian overseas missions which manage refugee visas: ​​

​Applicant location

​Australian mission
Address for refugee applications (form 842 only)

Africa (including Egypt), Europe, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan
​​Australian High Commission, Nairobi, Kenya​​
PO Box 39765
Nairobi Kenya 00623

Limuru Rd
Nairobi Kenya 00621

Turkiye, Georgia, Azerbaijan
Australian Embassy, Ankara, Turkiye

MNG Building
Ugur Mumcu Caddesi 88, 7th Floor
ANKARA 06700

Middle East (other than Israel), Afghanistan, Pakistan
​Australian Embassy, Amman, Jordan​
PO Box 35201
Amman 11180

41 Kayed Al Armouti St
Abdoun Al Janoubi
Amman Jordan


Australian High Commission, New Delhi

1/50 G, Shantipath
New Delhi 110021

Thailand, Myanmar, South-East Asia 
(other than Malaysia and Indonesia)

Australian Embassy, Bangkok, Thailand

181 Wireless Road
Lumphini, Pathumwan
Bangkok 10330

Malaysia, North Asia, South Pacific

Australian High Commission, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 

PO Box 10921
Kuala Lumpur 50730


​Australian Embassy, Jakarta

Immigration Section
Australian Embassy
Jl. Patra Kuningan Raya Kav 1-4
Jakarta Selatan, 12950


Australian Embassy, Washington, United States of America

1601 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington  DC 20036
United States of America

Priority is given to applicants who have been:

  • assessed as refugees by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and
  • referred to Australia for resettlement or
  • proposed by an immediate family member (for example, spouse or partner or child aged under 18 years) who holds a Refugee category visa (subclasses 200, 201, 203 or 204).

Global Special Humanitarian visa

If you have a proposer (for example, a family member in Australia) you can apply for a Global Special Humanitarian visa.

You must be:

  • outside your country of origin when applying for this visa or
  • proposed by an immediate family member (for example, spouse or partner or child aged under 18) who holds a Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202).

To apply for a Global Special Humanitarian visa, your proposer must complete Form 681: Refugee and Special Humanitarian Proposal.

You or your proposer must submit the completed Form 681 with your application Form 842: Application for an Offshore Humanitarian visa.

You can attach these forms and submit your application online via webform.

You can also submit your application by post to:

Special Humanitarian Processing Centre
Department of Home Affairs
GPO Box 9984