Circumstances that affect processing times
We assess applications on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times can vary due to individual circumstances including:
- whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
- how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information
- how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
- how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to character, and national security requirements
- for citizenship applications, the time taken to attend a Citizenship Ceremony or receive a Citizenship Certificate.
|Australian Citizenship application type||75% of applications processed in||90% of applications processed in|
|Conferral - lodgement to decision*||14 months||19 months|
|Conferral - approval to ceremony**||5 months||6 months|
|Conferral - lodgement to ceremony**||18 months||23 months|
|Descent (lodgement to decision)|| 54 days||84 days|
|Evidence (lodgement to decision)||5 days||10 days|
Last updated: 23 May 2019 (for month ending 30 April 2019)
*'Decision' includes approved, refused and invalidated decision outcomes.
**Most, but not all applicants for Australian citizenship by conferral acquire citizenship at a citizenship ceremony. For Descent and Evidence applications, allow an additional 10 days for printing and postage of your certificate. If you applied from outside Australia, postage will take longer.