Visa application charges and citizenship application fees are paid to assess your application. You can’t get a refund just because your application was not successful.
If you reverse a payment for your application:
- your application might become invalid
- your application might be cancelled
- you might get a debt to the Commonwealth.
If you get a debt to the Commonwealth we can pursue this debt. The debt might affect the outcome of a future visa application.
Form 1424 - Refund request lists the limited situations that refunds can be granted. There is no standard timeframe for processing a refund request. Each refund request must be individually assessed under the relevant legal authority or administrative rules.
If you submitted your application through ImmiAccount or paid through ImmiAccount
Follow these steps to check the status of your payment:
- Log into your ImmiAccount
- Go to 'Manage Payments' in the 'My Payments' drop-down tab
- The payment status will be displayed
- If the payment status in ImmiAccount is:
- 'Credit' then select the 'Request Refund' option from the actions menu
- 'Paid' you will need to complete Form 1424 - Refund request. Send the completed form to the office processing your application. If you do not know your processing office then send the completed form to your nearest office.
If you didn’t submit your application or make a payment through ImmiAccount
You will need to:
- Complete Form 1424 - Refund request
- Send the completed form to the office processing your application. If you don’t know the location of the office processing your application, send the completed form to your nearest office.